Dane County Housing Authority helps the community with housing.

Home | Site Map

Landlords - Frequently Asked Questions

For your convenience we have compiled a list of frequently asked questions.

What are the requirements for listing my property with Dane County Housing Authority?
The unit must be decent, safe, sanitary, and meet our rent reasonableness requirement.

How can I receive information regarding the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program?
You may call our office at 608 224-3636 #020 or read up on our Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program page for more information.

If I have questions about the program whom may I contact?
You may call our office at 608 224-3636 #020 or email to info@dcha.net and you will receive a response within 48 hours.

What is the process for leasing my property?
Review a copy of our Landlord Key To DCHA Section 8 Voucher Program to learn more.

How do I notify Dane County Housing Authority that I have property to rent?
You may call our office at 608 224-3636 #020 or download a Notice of Available Property form.

When can I expect my check from Dane County Housing Authority?
We process checks for the 1st and 15th of the month. If a family moves in on the first and the inspection has passed and all the required documents have been turned in at least 3-4 days prior to the 1st, you will get your check on the 1st.

When will my unit be inspected?
Dane County Housing Authority will schedule an inspection with the owner as soon as the “Request For Tenancy” form is completed and returned to our office.

What should I do once my property has been rented?
If you listed your property on our available units list you should call 608 224-3636 #020 or email us at info@dcha.net as soon as possible, so we can remove it from our list.

What rent amount can I ask for?
When you complete the “Request For Tenancy” form you will fill in your proposed rent. Our inspectors will do a “rent reasonableness” comparison (makes sure that the rent you are asking for are comparable for that area). If your rent is considered unreasonable for the area the inspector will call you to negotiate a more favorable rent amount.

What types of unit are accepted on the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program?
Apartments, single-family houses, duplexes, condominiums, townhouses, mobile homes, and manufactured homes are acceptable. A room in a boarding house or someone’s home is not acceptable.

Where can participant’s lease property?
Dane County Housing Authority serves Dane County outside the city limits of Madison, WI. Participant’s wanting to lease outside our jurisdiction will have to find out from their Housing Specialist whether or not they can be transferred or “ported” to the housing authority in the jurisdiction in which they want to lease.

If a tenant damages my property, is Dane County Housing Authority responsible?
No. You must seek damage reimbursement from the tenant or take them to court.

Who pays the security deposit?
The tenant is responsible for paying the security deposit. Under no circumstances does Dane County Housing Authority ever pay a security deposit.

How much of a security deposit can I charge?
You can charge the same security deposit amount you charge your unsubsidized tenants.

Who is responsible for the utilities prior to the unit prior to inspection?
ALL utilities must be on at the time of inspection or the unit will fail. The landlord/owner is responsible if the unit is vacant. If the tenant plans to “lease in place” and already resides in the unit and is currently responsible for the utilities, they should continue to be responsible prior to inspection. However, the inspectors are only concerned that the utilities are on when to they come for the inspection.

Can the utilities be left in the owner/landlord name once the tenant has possession?
Yes. The owner/landlord can draft his/her lease agreement whereas the landlord is responsible for the utilities.

Click here for a printer friendly version of this page.
Click here to email this page to a friend or to yourself.